Blackburn, a town of Lancashire, England, and the leading centre of the cotton industry, is situated on a branch of the Ribble, called in Domesday Book "Blackeburn." It was incorporated as a municipality in 1851, though as far back as the 16th century it had acquired importance as a market town. Amongst prominent names in the history of the cotton manufacture, associated with Blackburn, are those of Peel, and Hargreaves, the inventor of the spinning jenny. Its educational institutions comprise a grammar school, established by Queen Elizabeth in 1567, and a technical college; and among its notable buildings are the very ancient church of St. Mary's, the town hall, and exchange. Other amenities are its parks - the Corporation Park, of 50 acres, and the Queen's Park, of 35 acres.