Bitche, or Bitzche (anc. Bidiscum or Bicina), a fortified town in German Lorraine, formerly in the department of Moselle, France, and to the N. of the Vosges Mountains. It was formerly named Kattenhausen, and was taken by France as part of the Duchy of Lorraine in 1738, and restored to Germany in 1871. The position is a strong one, and resisted the attack of Austria in 1703 and Russia in 1797. and stood a long blockade in 1870-71. The chief industries are the manufacture of watch-glasses and matches, but there are ironworks and potteries.