Beverley, a municipal borough and market town in the E. Riding of Yorkshire, 9 miles N.W. of Hull, and on the North-Eastern Railway. Until 1885 it returned two members to Parliament, but now forms part of a division of the county. The minster, or collegiate church, dedicated to St. John, is a fine specimen of mixed Gothic architecture, and contains the tombs of the Percys and some remarkable carving. St. Mary's is also a handsome Gothic structure, and the grammar school is ancient. The chief manufactures are agricultural implements, oil-cake, manures, cement, and iron castings. There is a large trade in corn, coal, and leather. The great drain known as the Beverley and Barnston Cut is in the neighbourhood. It gives the title to a suffragan bishopric.