Bethune, a fortified town in the department of the Pas de Calais, France, 16 miles N.N.W. of Arras. Situated on a rock above the river Brette, it is an unattractive place, but has a fine Gothic church and the usual public institutions. It was founded in the 11th century, taken by France in 1645, recaptured by the Allies in 1710, and restored at the peace of Utrecht. There are manufactories of linen, cloth, and beer, and some trade is done in agricultural produce.