Belgrade, the capital of Servia, is situated at the confluence of the Save and Danube, and on the right bank of the latter. It is identified with the ancient Singidunum of Ptolemy. From its position as being the key to Hungary it was long the scene of many fierce conflicts between the Austrians and the Turks, and repeatedly changed hands - from the Greeks in 1073 to the Hungarians, back again to the Greeks, and from them to the Bulgarians, Bosnians, and Servians respectively. In 1456 and again in 1522 it was stormed by the Turks, who held it until 1688, when it was retaken by the Austrians, who again lost it in 1690. In 1717 Prince Eugene, the ruins of whose palace still remain, took it, and after an attempt on the part of the Turks to carry it by storm in 1739, it came into their hands by treaty. In 1789 Austria again acquired it; in 1791, Turkey; in 1806, Servian insurgents; in 1862 it was bombarded from its own citadel, which remained in Turkish hands until 1867. By the treaty of Berlin, 1878, it was made the capital of an independent state. Though it has in the main belonged to Turkey, it has yet more the appearance of a European than a Turkish town. It has a royal and an episcopal palace, a cathedral, a theatre, and other public and educational buildings. Carpets, hardware, cutlery, etc., are manufactured, and it has a considerable trade.