Note: Do not rely on this information. It is very old.
Bacharach (Latin - Ara Bacchi, altar of Bacchus), an old town in Rhenish Prussia, on the Rhine, 30 miles S.E. of Coblentz by rail. In the Middle Ages it was a great market for Rhine wine. The ruined church of St. Werner, an elaborate Gothic edifice in the form of a trefoil, commemorates a boy saint who (according to the legend) was murdered in 1293, and whose body miraculously floated up the river to this place. Blucher crossed the Rhine here on Jan. 1st, 1814.