Amiens (Lat. Ambiani), formerly the capital of Picardy and now the chief town of the department of the Somme, France, stands on the banks of the river Somme about 40 miles from Boulogne. The Northern Railway of France has a large junction and works here. It is an ancient city, occupying the site of the Roman Somarobriva. Joining the League in 1588, it was reduced in 1592, and 5 years after was captured by the Spanish to be retaken immediately by Henry IV. The famous Treaty of Amiens was signed here in 1802. The older quarters are dirty and cramped, being intersected by canals; the new part is well laid out and handsomely built. The glory of the city is the magnificent Gothic cathedral (1220-1288), the proportions of which are most effective, the length of the nave being 442 feet and its height 140 feet, whilst the spire is 420 feet high. The Hotel de Ville is a fine building, and there are a valuable library, a museum, a high court, a college, and a bishop's palace. Many industries are carried on, the principal being cotton spinning and weaving, the manufacture of cotton-velvets, kerseymeres, woollen and linen fabrics, and leather.