Algeciras (Arab. The Island), a Spanish seaport, situated 6 miles from Gibraltar on the opposite side of the bay. It derives its name from the islet that closes in one side of the harbour. The town was built by the Moors, and captured by Alfonso XI. in 1344. Admiral Saumarez defeated the combined Spanish and French fleets here in 1801. A good deal of trade is carried on with the coasts of the Mediterranean, and there are some local industries, such as the manufacture of coarse linen and cotton goods, paper, gloves, sombreros, and morocco leather.