Alcala de Henares, the Roman Complutum, a town on the river Henares, 17 miles E.N.E. of Madrid, Spain. It was rebuilt by the Moors in 1083, and became in 1510 the seat of a great university founded by Cardinal Ximenes, who was buried in the fine chapel of the College of St. Ildefonso. The Complutensian Polyglot Bible was published there, but in 1836 the university was removed to Madrid. The town is now chiefly celebrated for its military academy and powder factory.