Ajmere, a district and town in Rajpootana, British India. The district (Ajmere Merwara), 80 miles in length by 50 in breadth, has an area of 2,057 square miles, and a pop. of about half a million, the majority being Hindoos. Towards the E. the country is flat or undulating, and produces cereals, sugar, maize, oil-seed, tobacco, and cotton. In the N.W. the Aravalli range presents rugged valleys, with sandy deserts and occasional spots of fertility.
There are no rivers of consequence and no manufactures. The city is in the mountainous district on the Taragarh Hill, and is surrounded by a stone wall with five handsome gates. There are palaces built by Akbar and Jehaugir, a venerable Dargab, and a fine Jaire temple. The Anasagar Lake, artificially formed, supplies water. It is a clean and well-built city, and was founded in 145 A.D. by Aji, whose descendants ruled independently, or as vassals of Delhi, till 1365. For two centuries the chiefs of Mewar and Marwar disputed its possession. Akbar then conquered it, and the Moguls retained it till 1770, when the Mahrattas became its master. Ultimately the British purchased the city in 1818. The trade is principally in salt and opium. The agent for Rajputana has his residence here, and there is a thriving college.