Admiralty Islands, a group of forty islands, the largest being 50 miles long, situated N.E. of New Guinea, between lat. 2° and 3° S. and long. 146° 18' and 147° 46' E. They are covered with a luxurious growth of cocoa-nut trees, and have a native population. The Dutch discovered them in 1616, but they are rarely visited. They were annexed by Germany in 1885, and form part of the Bismarck Archipelago.