Aden, a seaport of Yemen, in Arabia, situated on a peninsula 100 miles E. of the Strait of Bab-el-Mandeb. It was taken by the British in 1839, and on the establishment of the overland route to India became an important coaling station. It possesses a good harbour and magnificent water tanks, and though hot is not unhealthy. At present 1,600 vessels call there during the year; the exports amount to nearly two millions, and the imports to about half a million more. The town is built to the east of the peninsula. The settlement is under the Government of Bombay, and the surrounding territory belongs to the Sultan of Lahej.