AEgina, an island 8 miles long by 6 broad, lying 20 miles distant from Athens, in the Saronic Gulf. It is rugged, for it contains Mount Oros and the Panhellenian Ridge, but tolerably fertile, and very healthy. It was the home of the legendary AEacus, and named from his mother. At the date of the battle of Salamis it rivalled Athens in naval power, and to this day ruins of walls and towers remain. Athenian jealousy ended by crushing the fortunes of the island, which was colonised by the victors. Lysander in vain restored the former inhabitants. Later on AEgina passed under the sway of the Venetians, who transferred it to the Turks, 1715, but in 1828-9 it shared in the liberation of Greece. The famous AEginetan marbles preserved at Munich formed part of a fine temple probably dedicated to Panhellenian Zeus.